Can You Use Exterior Paint Inside
Can You Use Exterior Paint Inside – If you’re questioning whether you can use exterior paint indoors or vice versa then we’ve got your answer here in this article you can, but you probably shouldn’t.
Have you ever observed that half-full can of exterior house paint and wondered if you could use it in your kitchen, bathroom, or another room in your home? Or perhaps you’ve thought about saving a little money and using some leftover internal paint on the exterior of the front door.
Can You Use Exterior Paint Inside
While theoretically, you will be able to use exterior paint indoors and interior paint outdoors, there are a lot of decent reasons not to, and we’ve listed them below. But first, here’s a brief primer on the chief types of interior and exterior paint:
- Most interior paint is acrylic latex, although it doesn’t comprise latex. It’s water-soluble when wet, low-odor, and emits a minimal number of VOCs (volatile organic compounds). Maximum varieties are concocted to be washable and scratch resistant.
- Most exterior paint is too acrylic latex, so it’s also water-soluble when wet, but it has extra resin to make it weather-resistant. It might be called acrylic enamel, but this also mentions the gloss finish. Giving to Benjamin More Paints, most exterior acrylic latex paint will work on various exterior surfaces, with stucco, wood siding, fiber cement, and brick.
- Though progressively less used, true exterior enamel is an oil-based paint that needs turpentine or mineral spirits for clean-up.
Can You Use Exterior Paint Indoors?
Exterior paints are expressed to stand up to all sorts of weather conditions. Those conditions comprise rain, intense heat, and sun or cold temperatures.
Exterior paint comprises resins that support the paint expansion and contract (instead of the crack) depending on the weather, as well as extracts to deter mildew, fading, and staining — for example, from a sprinkler system using mineral-rich well water.
Given that resilience, proprietors might think using exterior paint indoors is a clever move to ensure longevity. But while external paint does come in lots of colors and will dry indoors, here’s why you shouldn’t use it for your internal walls:
- The additives that are desirable to make exterior paint resilient outdoors are not planned for use inside, an online resource for finding home development contractors. “The more intense levels of resin used in exterior paint are intended to cure and age outdoors where they will not disturb indoor air quality.
- Acrylic latex paint expressed for outdoors contains a higher number of VOCs than interior paint. This means that the paint’s off-gassing will be foul at best and possibly hazardous at worst, particularly around people with allergies, breathing problems, or chemical sensitivities. Even after it dries, exterior acrylic latex will last to emit VOCs.
- The ingredients in exterior paint that stop mildew can cause odors and even allergic reactions when used in limited spaces.
- Because of their toxic fumes, true enamel or oil-based paints are a big no-no for interiors and liable on where you live, might be illegal for both interior and exterior use. As VOCs vaporize, they reason accelerated depletion of the earth’s ozone, resulting in ground-level ozone, clarifies Savino. “The EPA has banned the use of oil paints in numerous states with high ozone levels because of ingredients (oil, mineral spirits) that have advanced levels of VOCs than water-based paint.”
- Despite their strength for outdoor conditions, exterior paints are more prone to scuffing and scratches when applied indoors.
Can You Use Interior Paint Outdoors?
Using interior paint on a house exterior isn’t dangerous to your health, but it also doesn’t make much sense. Here’s why:
- Interior paint doesn’t comprise the same resins, fungicides, and other extracts as exterior paint so it will not stand up to the basics, even when practical to a sheltered spot like a front door on a covered porch.
- Interior paint is not expressed to expand and contract with temperature changes, so it is subject to maddening (hairline cracks) and cracking.
- Interior paint is not intended to be in direct sunlight, so its color will disappear faster outdoors.
Homeowners need to think of ways of dipping their energy use so that they will be able to save money on their energy bills. When energy tariffs soar, the home budget can be overstrained, causing further cutbacks away in your lifestyle.
As we have mentioned above, up to 25% of heat loss happens through your home’s walls. The decent news is that there is a new product on the market! One which will allow you to be house proud of your property’s appearance and undeniably over the moon with your finances too!
We are, of course, speaking about Home Logic Wall Coatings! This revolutionary product will advance the overall thermal efficacy of your home by dropping the amount of warm air lost through the walls. This is one way of knowingly reducing your energy spend over time! Also, the addition of external wall insulation supports to protect against moisture and dirt build-up.
FAQs on Can You Use Exterior Paint Inside:
What happens if you use exterior paint indoors?
The elements in exterior paint that prevent mildew can cause odors and even sensitive reactions when used in confined spaces. Because of their toxic fumes, true enamel or oil-based paints are a big no-no for interiors and liable on where you live, might be illegal for both interior and exterior use.
What should I do if I accidentally used exterior paint inside?
Usually, you’re fine. Exterior paint has some extracts to avoid mold/mildew growth which isn’t needed. It might take a bit longer to dry/cure and therefore smell a bit longer but once the paint is dry it is fundamentally inert.
- How to Clean Toilet Plunger
- How to Get Paint off Wood Floors
- How to Get Water Stains Out of Car Seats
- How to Remove Rust From Brake Rotors in Your Garage
We have shared everything about Using Exterior Paint Inside in this article on “Can You Use Exterior Paint Inside” if the info that we shared above helped you in any way then do share it with others.